5 Important Differences Between Day School And Boarding School That You Need To Know
Are you considering sending your child to a private day school or boarding school? Here are five important differences between the two types of schools that you need to know:
1. The major difference between day school and boarding school is that boarding schools are full-time educational institutions, while day schools are typically part of the traditional education system.
Day school students typically attend classes from around 8:00am to 3:00pm and then return home for the evening. Boarding school students often attend classes till closer to 5:00pm, and sometimes on Saturdays as well. Boarding students live on-site.
2. Boarding schools typically offers a more structured environment than day school.
This may include more strict rules and regulations, as well as a higher level of discipline.
Day schools may offer a more flexible schedule that allows for more individualized learning, and there may be a wider range of courses to choose from.
3. Socializing is also typically a bigger part of boarding school life than day school.
Day school students may have more opportunities for extracurricular activities, but boarding school students may socialize more extensively with their peers since they are together all the time.
4. Boarding school tuition can be much more expensive than day school tuition, but this is not always the case.
Many prestigious boarding schools, such as Phillips Exeter Academy, charge very high tuition rates but offer considerable financial aid packages that make them more affordable for many families.
5. Boarding schools are often more selective in their admissions process than day schools.
This means that boarding schools typically have a smaller student body, and the average student GPA is usually higher at boarding schools than at day schools.
The decision of whether to send your child to day school or boarding school is a difficult one, but knowing the differences between the two types of schools can help you make an informed decision.
Not sure where to start? Schedule a free, no-obligation Success Strategy session to learn how to put your child on the path to their dream school!